FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 14, 2012
CITY ANNOUNCES NOLA FOR LIFE FUND REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Local Non-Profits Sought To Deliver High-Quality Programs to High-Risk Youth
NEW ORLEANS, LA — As part of Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s NOLA FOR LIFE murder reduction plan, the City of New Orleans and the Greater New Orleans Foundation (GNOF) released a request for proposals (RFP) seeking local non-profit organizations to deliver high-quality programs and social services to those most at risk of being caught in the cycle of violence and murder.
With funding available through the NOLA FOR LIFE Fund housed at GNOF, the City hopes to ensure that critical social services are available to those at high risk of killing or being killed.
“To end the cycle of violence and death on the streets of New Orleans, we must have social services in place to support individuals who choose to stop shooting and make better life choices,” Mayor Landrieu said. “Through the NOLA FOR LIFE Fund, our community is investing in our young people who want to turn their lives around, and these grants will help ensure that we can stand up and support organizations that can make a real difference.”
Last month, Mayor Landrieu announced the creation of the NOLA FOR LIFE Fund and accepted the first major donation to the fund – a $1 million gift from Chevron. The City of New Orleans is matching the tax-deductible donations to the NOLA FOR LIFE Fund dollar for dollar, up to $250,000.
The five pillars of NOLA FOR LIFE are:
- Stop the Shootings
- Invest in Prevention
- Promote Jobs and Opportunity
- Get Involved and Rebuild Neighborhoods
- Improve the NOPD
In addition to the recently-launched public awareness campaign, called “Flip the Script,” new initiatives in the plan include the Group Violence Reduction Strategy, an approach that balances strong consequences for street groups involved in murder with a firm commitment to help individuals who want to turn their lives around.
“The release of this RFP shows the City’s commitment to ensuring that quality programs and services are available immediately to serve those most at risk,” Mayor Landrieu said.
Proposals and all required attachments must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on December 7, 2012.
Complete proposals will detail:
- The applicant’s experience, highlighting specific programs and services serving high risk individuals;
- Program outcomes; and
- The applicant’s annual program and/or operating budget.
To be eligible to apply for funding, applicants must be nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations that serve Orleans Parish. Organizations that are not tax-exempt but have a fiscal agent relationship with a 501(c)(3) organization are also eligible.
Priority will be given to organizations that:
- Have a track record of success;
- Demonstrated commitment to serve at-risk youth;
- Involve in leadership and in other key roles members of the communities they seek to serve;
- Demonstrate strong leadership at the staff and board level; and
It is expected that the City and GNOF will award up to $500,000 in grants in the first of what is expected to be multiple requests for proposals.